Defusing Encounters with Angry Patrons at your Library (LibraryWorks Webinar) Online
The Massachusetts Library System is pleased to announce that we have partnered with LibraryWorks to provide our members with access to their webinars. These webinars are free to Massachusetts library workers who register through our calendar.
Librarians are increasingly under attack. With the rise of book bans, political polarization and normalization of online attacks, librarians are often caught in the crosshairs. How can you protect yourself and your library colleagues and defuse the growing number of angry patrons?
This webinar will discuss policies and practices to help prevent and/or mitigate angry behavior. It will also discuss Verbal Judo, a de-escalation technique that can be used in stressful situations. Patrons from teens to adults will be discussed, as well as some responses to hostile behavior. You’ll also learn more about when to involve, or not involve, authorities. While the root cause of much of this anger can’t be easily resolved, there are mitigation strategies that can help.
This webinar will discuss:
• Finding outlets for yourself
• Verbal Judo and de-escalation techniques
• Steps to ask a patron to leave
• Dealing with unsafe adolescent behaviors
• Suggestions of policies and staff practices
- Thursday, March 7, 2024
- 2:00pm - 3:00pm
- Time Zone:
- Eastern Time - US & Canada (change)
- This is an online event. Event URL will be sent via registration email.