Accidental Reference Librarian: Best Practices
This series of interactive workshops will deliver a realistic foundation for providing excellent reference services. Classes in this series are appropriate for staff in all types of libraries. Experienced Reference staff have found this class an engaging refresher, and folks new to the Reference Desk like the breadth of knowledge delivered, and the confidence gained from the interactive work.
In this series, the live Accidental Reference Librarian class MLS members have come to value, is broken down into three topical explorations: Best Practices, Sources & Searching, and The Reference Interview.
- ARL: Best Practices defines and explores the hows and whys of the professional standards and ethics one must observe as a Reference and Information Services provider. Interactive work will include group discussion of ethical dilemmas one may face in reference transactions.
- ARL: Sources & Searching looks at broad categories of sources (both physical and electronic) and the search strings and strategies to be used. In this offering, learners will work in groups to develop a search strategy in response to a theoretical reference inquiry.
- ARL: The Reference Interview is a deep dive exploration of the The Reference Interview. Group work will include “troubleshooting” a theoretical reference inquiry, and pairing off for discreet practice.
This session will be held on Zoom. Registrants will receive an email 24 hours prior to the start time with log in instructions.
- Wednesday, February 24, 2021
- 10:00am - 12:00pm
- Time Zone:
- Eastern Time - US & Canada (change)
- Virtual CE Class