[Leadership Development Training Series] MANAGEMENT 101: People, Money, & Everything Else
In a perfect world, new managers would assume their leadership positions with all the preparation, training, and confidence needed to quickly become effective. But who lives in a perfect world? If you might benefit from taking another look at the basics of effective management, then this program is for you! By considering everything from the broader concepts of workplace culture, organizational politics, and vision to the more practical skills involved in hiring, team building, budgeting, and customer service, this six-session course will help managers in any type of library build their skills and grow their confidence.
Participants in this program will receive their own complimentary copy of Be a Great Boss: One Year to Success and will work through the chapters in the book over the course of the program. One afternoon per month, for six months, participants will meet virtually on Zoom for discussion, activities, and additional content provided by BAGB author Catherine Hakala-Ausperk.
At the conclusion of this program, attendees will have:
· Expanded their comprehension of the essential knowledge required for effective management
· Clarified their understanding of their own strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities for growth
· Committed to the type of ongoing professional development that keeps management effective and innovative
Participants will be expected to complete assigned readings and assignments prior to each session and to come prepared to participate with microphone and video camera.
Important information to read prior to registering:
- This is a six-part program. Sessions will be held one afternoon per month for six months. Registrants must commit to attending all six sessions. The sessions will be held online via Zoom from 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. on the following Thursdays: June 10, July 8, August 12, September 9, October 14, and November 18.
- Participants will each receive a comlimentary copy of Be a Great Boss: One Year to Success, which was written by the instructor. (Participants should not order their own copies. MLS will provide copies to participants prior to the first session.)
- To ensure that library staff across the Commonwealth have access to this training, we ask libraries to limit their registration to one staff member per institution.
Will this Program be Recorded: No.
Intended Audience: This program is open to current managers and supervisors. If you are not currently a manager or supervisor, we invite you to explore the many other offerings in the Leadership Development Training Series.
About the Instructor: Catherine Hakala-Ausperk is the owner of Libraries Thrive Consulting and is an author, speaker, and trainer with over 35-years’ library experience in everything from direct customer service to library management and administration. She is an Adjunct Instructor at the iSchool at Kent State and also teaches for the American Library Association’s Certified Public Library Administrator (CPLA) Program, The Public Library Association, ALA’s eLearning Solutions, the Urban Library Council, InfoPeople, and multiple other organizations. An active speaker, planner, and trainer in libraries across the country, she is the author of seven books: "Be a Great Boss: One Year to Success," "Build a Great Team: One Year to Success," "Renew Yourself: A Six-Step Plan for More Meaningful Work," and a unique series of “Leadership Planners” (including "Future-Proof Your Team," "Win ‘Em Over," "Dynamic Discipline," and "Hot Ticket Meetings"). Catherine’s passion is for supporting, coaching, and developing great libraries, successful teams, and – especially – strong and effective leaders.
- Thursday, June 10, 2021
- 1:00pm - 3:00pm
- Time Zone:
- Eastern Time - US & Canada (change)
- Virtual CE Class